The beautiful Temple of Israel has been a landmark in Wilmington for almost 147 years. Built in 1876, the Moorish Revival style Temple is the oldest synagogue in continuous use in North Carolina and one of the oldest in the United States. This Temple is an architectural jewel.
The historic Temple now needs financial help as its almost 150 year old sanctuary requires urgent repair. We have nearly reached our initial goal but because of raising construction costs, we are continuing our fundraising efforts.
We are grateful for the generosity of our many donors who have participated thus far. Additional contributions to our campaign are greatly appreciated.
To show your support:
- Mail a check to Temple of Israel, 922 Market Street, Wilmington, NC 28401, Attn: Restoration 150 Fund or
- Click the button below to donate online.
History of the Temple of Israel
by Beverly Tetterton
We have now printed a third edition of The History of the Temple of Israel, consisting of 100 more books. This printed edition follows 150 books previously published and it has been a successful fundraiser for the Restoration 150 Fund to restore our synagogue. The History of the Temple of Israel is a 46 page color book with photographs and is not only the history of the Temple but also the history of the Ladies Concordia Society.
For a minimum donation of at least $100 to the Restoration 150 Fund, the donor can request a copy of The History of the Temple of Israel signed by Beverly Tetterton.
Beverly Tetterton ran the New Hanover County Library’s North Carolina Room from its start in the 1980s to when she retired in 2012 as the Research Librarian & Archivist. She was one of the StarNews Media Lifetime Achievement Award recipients for 2020. Beverly was a pioneer in digital archives, creating the first in North Carolina.